A bamboo toothbrush is an eco-friendly alternative to the typical plastic toothbrush. The bamboo handle is 100% compostable and the bristles are bio-based Nylon 1010 produced from castor oil, NOT petroleum-based, like other nylon bristles out there.
Q: Are there 100% compostable bamboo brushes?
A: Yes (and no...)! Bamboo toothbrushes with horsehair or pig hair are 100% compostable but there's no way to guarantee a cruelty-free process so we only offer bamboo toothbrushes with bio-based castor oil bristles right now. Biobased bristles are made from castor oil but not biodegradable. Although these bristles will eventually return to the soil, you may recycle them at your local recycling facility or with Terracyle®.
Note: It is estimated that over 4 billion toothbrushes are sold each year. When they have reached the end of their life cycle they are simply thrown away and end up in a landfill, or worse, in the sea. While these bamboo brush handles are 100% biodegradable. As of now, there is no better product in the market that is both biodegradable and vegan (e.g., horsehair toothbrush). We keep looking for a better alternative.
- Bamboo-based: bamboo is not only sustainable but one of the fastest-growing plants. It uses 1/3 less water than cotton to grow, self-replenish, & more economical than other woods.
- Soft bristles: much finer than normal so they get fully between the teeth and leave a nice polish.
- An easy eco-friendly swap that makes a huge impact on the planet.
- Brush as instructed by dentists
- Replace head within 3 months
- Bristles: use a tweezer or plier to remove the bristles from the head to recycle or throw them in the garbage if your city does not accept Nylon 1010 in its recycling scheme.
- Handle: upcycle or compost (return to soil in 6 months)
- Best to keep in an open, dry area rather than an enclosed container where water accumulates